This is the place where the New Morning Musings are going to grow into the essay type, real thought, longer form posts that I love. I can't promise how often they'll be made available. But I'll do my best to create a quality over quantity atmosphere.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Grocery Shopping's Done... Now The Cooking Begins

So I did the grocery shopping with E-ve’s help. It was a resounding success.


The No Frills had everything that we were looking for and now the freezer, fridge and cupboards are full of new foods. It’s exciting.

Let’s take a look at some of the things that came home with us.

-Soy crumble (Blue menu)
-Breaded fish fillets
-Chicken quarters
-Bacon
-Large brown eggs
-Red onions
-Sweet bell peppers
-Sausages
-Pork chops
-Canned fruit salad
-Canned crushed pineapple
-Margarine
-Canned green beans
-Canned beans
-Canned creamed corn
-Canned soup
-BBQ sauce
-Mini-Wheats
-Hot dogs
-Brownie mix
-Instant mashed potatoes
-Whole wheat bread
-English muffins

We also found out that my freezer is awesome and didn’t ruin a bunch of the stuff that was already in there. So I also have chicken fingers, hamburgers, taquitos, a pizza and ice cream in the freezer.

So far I’ve cracked a few eggs and had sandwiches on English muffins. The red onions and red pepper and some left over bacon made a great combo with the fluffy muffins.

E-ve also made a great pancake dinner for us Thursday night which didn’t actually use anything that we brought home from the grocery store. And strangely that made me feel really good. I think it was because I hadn’t spent that much money all at once on food in a long time. And not using it up right away calmed me a little bit.

Side note: E-ve’s homemade peach jam was great on my pancakes and it even mixed well with a little table syrup. Tasty win.

Moving forward there are plans for roasted chicken with veggies. Maybe a sausage and pasta dish. Pork chops with potatoes and creamed corn. Perhaps some soup and sandwiches. Beans and weiners and toast. Chicken fingers and taquitos munchie night. Fish and veggies. And who knows what else.

I’ve also been keeping track of some of the recipes that have worked out well so far. I was thinking that maybe I would share them. I’m a pretty alright cook, but most of the things I do are terribly simple. Things that anyone can put together with the right ingredients. I’m also hoping that you all might add respond with some easy ones for me to try as well.

I even have a request from @technicolor_cat on my Twitter feed for the results of the Soy experiment.

So, wish me luck my friends. With E-ve’s help and support I’m gonna give this whole eating at home thing a real shot.

Like wham!

No comments:

Post a Comment