This is the place where the New Morning Musings are going to grow into the essay type, real thought, longer form posts that I love. I can't promise how often they'll be made available. But I'll do my best to create a quality over quantity atmosphere.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Grocery Lists And Home Cooking My Way To Happiness

So I was talking the other day about how E-ve is excited that I’m thinking about picking up some soy when I do my grocery shopping this week. It’s that whole healthy alternative thing that has her smiling and praising me before I even get to the store.

Truth is that she and I are both excited that I have the gumption and planning to go grocery shopping and start cooking in the first place. For quite a while now I’ve been in a rut of laziness where food is concerned. Fast food and pre-made dinner has been the order of the day almost 7 days a week for too long.

The ideas behind grocery shopping and cooking are multiple. Health is one of them. The one that has E-ve excited and where the soy comes in to play. Also, cooking chicken and beef and pork and such at home with veggies or pasta or both is going to be a lot healthier than grabbing chicken nuggets or hamburgers.

Side note: I will miss shawarma and it may be my cheap treat from time to time.

One of the others is cost. I try to eat the cheap stuff from the fast food joints near my apartment, it’s not like I’m 5 star dining every night, but it adds up. I’m burning through a lot of cash doing the grab something on the way home routine. If I can save some money by cooking for myself it’s a bonus for sure. There never seems to be enough cash in the account to do fun stuff when the ideas strike. And with Jake’s play coming up in March I’ll need some scratch for a bus ticket.

The third is waste. Fast food makes a lot of garbage. And I’m a bad house keeper. If I am cooking for myself there won’t be bags and napkins and plastic forks all over the place. I’ll have to wash dishes so that I can cook and so that I can eat. That cycle should keep itself going. I try to be a green dude, but I will fully admit that I’m not doing a very good job of it right now.

Side note: I just thought of this now, but wine and other drinks are going to go so much better with home cooked food. Bonus.

The last idea behind this whole thing is me being happy. I like cooking and I like eating, those are pretty self explanatory. But on top of that there’s this whole funk that I’ve been in. Come home around 8pm or so and grab something (greasy) on the way to the apartment. Change clothes, eat, watch some TV, sleep. That’s been the routine for the last while now. It’s draining and it makes it feel like home is nothing more than the cable bill and place to sleep. What I’m aiming for is that feeling of home that comes with cooking and the smells and the satisfaction of being a little bit more of a grown-up. Let’s not get carried away here, I said a little bit more grown-up.

Let’s take a look at what could end up on the grocery list by the time Thursday comes.

-Mini-Wheats cereal
-canned corn
-canned peas
-canned mushrooms
-bacon
-chicken thighs/ whole chicken (on sale at more than one grocery store this week)
-whole wheat bread
-margarine
-pork chops
-cheese
-milk
-soy crumble
-sausages
-side kicks
-eggs
-sweet peppers
-onion
-small potatoes
-instant mashed potatoes

So, wish me luck. There’s a whole lot riding on this movement.

And if it works I might even try to become a better house keeper.

But that’s a big maybe.

Like wham!

No comments:

Post a Comment